Tuesday 9 April 2013

The Culverts - Part II


Hi everyone. As most of you know, this past month I’ve been working like crazy trying to figure out the mystery surrounding the culverts. The greatest challenge has by far been trying to find out what happened afterwards. There’s just no trace I can follow about anything. Who got arrested, why did it take so long before the police got involved, why didn’t DevDor Waste (the company that built the culvert) do anything themselves. Indeed, I can’t even get a hold of anyone who worked at the company back then, partially because it is defunct now.
I spoke to a police officer who was active back in the early eighties, but although he can recall the case, he doesn’t remember anything about who were in charge of it, or involved at all. The journalist who wrote both of the reports I am working off of is dead. I was just about ready to give up on the whole thing.
But then someone sent me the name of a local priest! I would like to take this opportunity to thank my anonymous benefactor. (I am sure you read the site!) Of course, with the involvement of stories of Satanic worship and rituals, it was natural to involve a man of God in the investigation. As it turns out, the priest (who also wishes to remain anonymous, but whom I am pretty sure does not read my blog) was the one who determined beyond a shadow of doubt that what was going on was not anything Satanic, but better described as pagan. Oh, and there was supposedly no human sacrifice. Best to get that out of the way.
I was surprised by how big the difference between labelling something Satanic and Pagan is. You see, Satanism is effectively a religion, a set of beliefs derived from Christianity, if somewhat twisted and perverted from its original message. Satanism is a faith, a pattern that every Satanist can follow. Paganism, on the other hand, is by its very definition unstructured. The way the priest explained it was that Paganism covers every faith that doesn’t have any centralised tenets. There are thousands of variations on Pagan religions, across the world and across history, but apart from similar gods or similar mythological creatures, there isn’t any correct way to view the faith (or a number of correct ways, as is the case with most religions). It is uncentralised and unorganised, by its very definition.
So the question then is what the culvert cult believed they were doing with their rituals or nightly activities. It turned out that that would be an even more difficult question to answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment